Several years ago, I met Jay John, who had a booth at a Promise Keepers event for his company, Faith Financial Planners of Maryland [my shameless plug]. I had been concerned that my IRAs had been investing in companies that promoted anti-biblical practices. I wanted to honor God with my tithes and offerings, but also with the portion that we are called to put aside for eventual retirement. So, I enlisted Jay’s help.
I met with Jay again this week, and I asked him about his wife, Sheila. It turns out that their house had Radon in it and Sheila got metastatic lung cancer from it. So, I’ve been praying for her that her treatments are successful in helping to heal her. I ask that you include her name on your prayer list as well.
According to the EPA, Radon is the second leading cause of lung cancer. Radon is responsible for about 21,000 lung cancer deaths every year. About 2,900 of these deaths occur among people who have never smoked. Radon is a naturally-produced radioactive gas that can seep through the floor and mix with the air in your home, school, daycare, or workplace. There seems to be a a higher concentration of Radon in Northern Maryland than in the DC and Annapolis areas.
Inexpensive test kits can be purchased from Lowes and other local stores. The State of Maryland (except Montgomery County, Maryland) does not have a Radon Program. If you have questions about Radon and how to vent it, go to the EPA website http://www.epa.gov/radon/. – AL